Monday, August 30, 2010

Bad Mommy Confession, Number 1

My first bad mommy confession here on Hetta Hoo.

Pacifiers. No not that I use them, honestly if you think that is enough for a bad mommy confession, you probably shouldn't be reading this blog.

No, my confession is that I rarely ever sterilize them. In fact I have even take a pacifier out of the packaging and inserted it directly into the squealing little guy's mouth. No 5 minutes of boiling, nothing. At the time it seemed like an emergency but I know for some women there is no excuse.

Besides barely ever remembering to throw them in the dishwasher or sterilizer, I also carry them in whatever I have handy; a pocket, my (probably dirty) hand, diaper bag (and not in its own special hygenic container), you get the idea.

When they fall on the ground do you know what I do?
Blow on it, brush it with my hand, and then plop it back in his mouth. In extreme cases I might even suck on it once in place of water. But as a friend pointed out, my mouth is one of the most germy places of all, so clearly more harm then good.

And you know what makes this a real bad mommy confession? I don't feel bad, not one little bit.

5 comments:

  1. i am the same way!!! I realized yesterday that I can't remember the last time i really washed Eirik's! Good to know i'm not the only one out there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. I figure I'm helping my baby build a germ tolerance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I was going to say the same thing as TanyaS - you're just building up his immune system :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a germaphobe only creates illness, IMHO! I'm exactly the same way with Eliza. The more germs the merrier, and he's a healthy breastfed boy - you're only doing him good, I say :)

    BTW I love your "bad mommy confessions" tag. I may have to steal this idea for a future post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto, I do the exact same thing :) You're not alone!

    .... hmmmm... that reminds me that I should probably collect them all and throw them in the dishwasher.

    By the way, this is Michelle from TTCYFC on IV

    ReplyDelete